Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 31 A Broken Record (Guest Written by Fern Lee, Yoga Teacher)

Sometimes I feel like a broken record.  I say the same things over and over in my Yoga classes, to my family, inside my head.  These routined patterns of thought fascinate me.  Fortunately, I've realized I'm not the only one who has this condition.  A lot of us do: we worry, compare, judge, fear...

I speak to this in class; suggesting that as we notice 'thinking' we get some space from it, or neutrality, that we don't own it as much.  After all, how trustworthy are your thoughts?  So, alongside the opening stretch of Trikonasana, open the mind, maybe even taking a faithful leap into Balancing Stick.  Feel the core strength of Chaturanga, while at the same time asking the heart to melt.  Let's kindly notice the "I can't" that starts a thought and go deeper.  What else do we think?  And what else?  And how does that feel?  Then, maybe, "Who's thinking?" Or not thinking at all, just being. 

A couple weeks ago I asked my Remedial and Therapeutic class to 'Compensate with Consciousness'.  I often ask this particular class to do this, but had never used the phrase before.  Nearly everyone has something going on in their bodies to be cautious about.  And this class has poets and wordsmiths in it; we love rolling words like penultimate, gestalt, ischial tuberosities and Tadaka Mudra around, and we loved my new phrase!  I wrote it on the white board, and started using it in all my classes, and meditating on it.  Going deeper.  Sounding like a broken record.

Eventuall, I realized it was a difficult instruction.  At the same time I realized it serves us to be broken; to get deeper into the essence of a thing, to grow in consciousness.  God, Yoga, Source, to be flawed, wounded, broken:  it's all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment