Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 30 - Tomorrow's Music

Here's what I plan to do tomorrow:

  • sit outside and ponder the trees
  • learn to draw
  • make more healthy dinners
  • create a home yoga practice

All I need to make the home practice work is the right music.  One good song to keep me going for another set of Surya Namaskara B.

My husband is confused.  "I thought you didn't like music during yoga class."

Well ... it depends.

I don't like music while the teacher is talking.  Too much input.  How am I supposed to capture one foot behind my back (palm up) for Dancer Pose, breathe and be-in-the-moment while I note the chord progression and decipher words to the French pop song.  I love this piece of music and am dying to ask the teacher what it is, only I don't want to encourage her.

Because I hate music in yoga class.

I keep looking for the right music for my home practice.  I need a "mix".

I'll use Arvo Part's hypnotic "Spiegel im Spiegel" for opening gentle stretches.  "Here Comes the Sun" would be perfect for Sun Salutations.  I can time warp myself to age 13 when cartwheels, splits and backbends were part of the active repertoire.  Tree Pose doesn't really need music, but you know what happens when the sound track stops.

I'll take a short potty break, grab a drink of water and a little snack.  That plant needs watering.  Why not check my e-mail?  A note from Fern!  How lovely!  I should reply right now.

"Hi Fern!  I'm glad you had a nice trip.  What's new with your yoga teaching?  You would be so proud of my home practice.  I've created a music mix that motivates me to do poses on my own.  I've finally arrived!  xoxo  Diane"

Tomorrow I'll use bird songs for Tree Pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment