Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 28 - Warming Up

Here's what you might see in our studio before class starts:

A 20-something woman sitting on her mat drinking tea with wires in her ears while she reads the paper. 

A 20-something man alternating down dogs with pushups, in case there won't be enough of these in the class.

Invariably there is a certain middle-aged woman with big hair, lying on her back in Supta Baddha Konasana with her hands on her belly.  Big-Hair reclines this way for 15 minutes before class begins.  Her hands shift position from time to time.  Sometimes they are on her chest, neck, or covering her already-closed eyes. 

Keep reading if you're curious about what she's doing.

Big-Hair is doing Reiki

Yes, your author is Big-Hair.

Reiki is a gentle healing art that promotes balance and healing by tapping into energy.  (which I like to define as spiritual energy, but you don't have to see it that way)  I like to begin yoga sessions with a Reiki warm-up.  Depending on if the Home Team is ahead or the Away Team is ahead, I sometimes offer "Distant Reiki", on behalf of a friend, who has asked for prayers for her troubled son (as one example).  Sometimes I soak in all the healing for myself, and my family will be glad, later on, that I took this preventative measure.   Reiki and prayer are synonymous for me.  Sometimes (again, depending which team needs a few extra points that day) I tap into this healing method on behalf of the world - on behalf of hurting land, waters, air, plants, and animals. including humans animals. 

A simple, wordless prayer.

1 comment:

  1. Diane, I love this. You are so not the actual "big hair" of trailer park nightmares!---but your Reiki is just lovely. Last week I didn't listen to the news and stayed peaceful. All the hysteria is so catching and useless. How beautiful to just quietly pray.

    ReplyDelete