Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 26 - Corrected Vision

After Sunday's experience, (see Day 25, Communication Issues) today's experience is just too weird. 

On Sunday two young metro riders thought my husband and I qualified for senior citizen seating.  (I'm 51 and in case you didn't know, and I do yoga every day!) 

Today as I walked home from noon yoga class, it was beautiful Washington spring weather.  There was also a spring in my step.  My jacket was tied around my hips and my yoga mat was slung over my shoulder. 

As I walked past Hearst School Playground, I watched the noisy children swinging and tried to guess their ages.  Hearst School used to be K - 3, but these children looked like 6th graders.  They saw me watching them and waved.  I gave a friendly smile and waved in return. 

It was hard to tell their ages.  There were both big ones and little ones.  Each was unique, so it was hard to categorize them.  The enthusiastic waving continues.  "Hi!" they smile and shout.  "Hi, Grandma!" 

Oh for Pete's Sake!

I shout back (a smiling kind of shout, of course), "I'm not a grandma!"  (see how I'm still smiling at these wonderful children.)

I kept walking and didn't give much chance for them to reconsider.  I knew that if they looked at my face again they would see their mistake right away. 

I hear words relayed one to another.  "She says she's not a grandma."  and then I hear "...gray hair."  and then I hear, "Sorry!"  "Sorry, ma'am!"

I understand.  My eyesight's not that good these days.  That's probably their problem too.

No comments:

Post a Comment