Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 9 - Veazey Street Ashram

Here's the short version of how it's going:

I stand taller, breathe better, smile more, and feel more confident. There is less need for sleep, my pimples are going away and my energy is almost manic.

So much for the common conception that yoga is for relaxation (although for you, it may be.)

All of this yoga makes me want to run track! Do jumping jacks, compose music, bake cakes, paint, and write books (or at least blog). What will happen at 40 days? What will happen at 41 days?

I think I’ll open an Ashram on Veazey Street. Every morning at 6:00 the chanting yogis will arrive, sleepy-eyed, mats tucked under their arms. I’ll hold court and chant to them, having learned all the ragas. The chants are very long. Maybe we’ll begin at 4:00. Pure sound resonating in our bodies and through the house, my teenaged son will press the pillow hard over his ears.

The altar will be adorned with figurines, stones, shells, and photographs of our teachers. I will not light the candles, neither will I extinguish them. Acolytes will do that. They will also clean the floor with sweet lemon and beeswax. Yogis will bring offerings of fresh fruit, cakes, tea and rice. No need to make breakfast!  They dust the piano every morning.

Then my day of music teaching will unfold.

The young piano students arrive, also bringing apples for their teacher.  We slice these and add them to the altar offering.  The students are filled with pride, accomplishment and joy because all week long they have practiced well and faithfully. They have tackled the tricky parts in their pieces, have practiced slowly and carefully, and never missed a single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment