Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 5 - Taos, New Mexico

Sundays are not in Lent, but I think it’s fair enough to have a substitution system. Sort of like having cole slaw (which I never do) instead of french fries or having someone else direct your choir (which I’m currently doing) while on retreat in Taos, New Mexico.

Yes, I’m a spoiled brat, writing from Taos, New Mexico where I’m attending a yoga and writing workshop with a famous writing teacher whose name cannot be mentioned and visiting an old friend who now lives in out west.

The retreat is at Mabel Dodge Luhan House, which has offered hospitality to the likes of Georgia O’Keefe, D. H. Lawrence, Ansel Adams, and Carl Jung. I’m sleeping in Willa Cather’s room.

When I arrived this afternoon, the welcoming woman at reception asked where I had come from. I told her that I’d come from Washington, DC and she said, "Oh, you’re from sea level. Taos is at 7,000 feet. You may have shortness of breath, fatigue or a headache. Tylenol should take care of it, and hydration. Be sure to stay hydrated."

I am carefully following her advice at the moment by beginning the writing and yoga retreat in New Mexico’s beautiful sunshine with a pint of Albuquerque Marble IPA.


In the words of Ben Franklin, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

1 comment:

  1. ha ha. well, i've got a massive headache and i'm here at sea level so there ya go.

    ReplyDelete