Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 7 - Too Much Too Little

The food at Mabel Dodge Luhan House is UNBELIEVABLE. Breakfast yesterday: scrambled eggs with Gruyere, asparagus, bacon, sausage, au gratin potatoes, croissants, bran muffins, yogurt, cottage cheese, hand-cut Irish oatmeal, fruit compote, fresh fruit. Lunch and dinner are similar. Shiitake mushroom soup, salmon, sweet potatoes with spinach and cheese, fancy whole grain rice, roasted cauliflower, rolls, orange cake. All of it homemade and fabulous. In the afternoon there are scones and homemade macaroons. I’m aching to be hungry again.

Confession Time

Yesterday’s yoga session was of the sitting in the New Mexico sun variety. Today my body is hungry for yoga and thrilled to be practicing again. I’m rosy cheeked, energized and happy.

Community retreats also carry a challenge of too much and too little. At home I long for people and ideas to bump up against. At the retreat I bump up against too many people and long for solitude.

Wisely, we observe silence from sunrise to 10 am. I sit silently at the breakfast table, facing the eastern window. I appreciate the heather plants in the window sill. I breathe a silent prayer of gratitude over my beautiful food. I am more circumspect this morning in my choices. plain yogurt. raspberries, strawberries, a nectarine. I breathe a silent prayer of gratitude for the life force of the woman sitting next to me. My eyes caress the fork in her hand. I notice the sausages on her plate and how many of them she has. I wonder how she eats them all and stays so thin.

I could have just one little sausage.

1 comment: